Saturday, May 12, 2012

Self-publishing with Createspace.

Good News! Createspace.com, an Amazon company, is by far the least expensive Print On Demand company that I found after many hours of reasearch. They can be found at this address: https://www.createspace.com or the above link. I felt very confident that Createspace did all they could to make the process easier for the author. They have their own upload, and it is not necessary to use an FTP to transfer a large file. They have an excellent digital editor that allows you to flip through the pages of the book in a two page spread. The cost of producing my book has decreased almost three times less than the original amount it cost to produce. There is a calculator on the site to enter in the number of pages to your book and get an estimate. I'll provide more details soon. I'm still convinced that short-run printing is the best option, but now I can sell my book for $22 a copy. Below is a screen capture of the digital editor in Createspace. I was very impressed asnd wished I'd hd such a proof-reader from the very beginning of this project. Instead I ordered several copies of my rough drafts/prototypes in hard copy so I could compare the physical book with my computer screen. It can be very difficult to have a correct over-view of your book when some programs only offer you thumbnails of the "big picture." In this instance Createspace is alerting me to the fact that this graphic has to low of a dpi.

No comments: